Sunday 22 July 2012

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

source
A little while ago, an old friend named Monica asked me for a recipe. I’m always happy to share the recipe wealth, but this time, I didn’t have one to share! Fast forward a couple of weeks and I went to an engagement party for another friend and lo and behold a delicious dish of the exact recipe Monica was looking for! (Sorry I didn't take any of my own photos of the recipe, I totally forgot.  The photo above is from the recipe website, but it's just like what mine looked like :)
I haven’t had much experience cooking with quinoa, but everyone I know seems to be extolling the virtues of this grain famous as a source of complete protein, is a good source of dietary fibre and is high in iron and calcium while being gluten free. (SOURCE).
I hope you enjoy this one, I served it for a neighbourhood bbq and everyone loved it, even some of the kids! This recipe is from food.com, and it’s delicious!
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Ingredients
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1 tablespoon fresh minced cilantro
2 tablespoons minced scallions
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup diced bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno chilies
salt and pepper
Directions:
Put ½ cup quinoa in 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover, cook for 15 minutes, remove from heat, leave covered for 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro and scallions. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, bell peppers and chilies. Add the cooled quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold.
Hope you enjoy this recipe!  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...